Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام delivered following sermon to the Bani Israel whilst announcing his Prophethood and miracles. It has been mentioned in Surah Aal-e-‘Imran of the Holy Quran:
And he will be a Noble Prophet towards the descendants of Israel saying, ‘I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, for I mould a birdlike figure from clay for you, and I blow into it and it instantly becomes a (living) bird by Allah’s command; and I heal him who was born blind, and the leper, and I revive the dead, by Allah’s command; and I tell you what you eat and what you store in your houses; undoubtedly in these (miracles) is a great sign for you, if you are believers’.
[Kanz-ul-Iman (Translation of Quran)] (Part 3, Surah Aal-e-‘Imran, verse 49)
In this sermon, Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام announced four of his miracles:
⦁ Making birds with clay and making them fly after blowing into them.
⦁ Curing the innate blind and the lepers.
⦁ Resurrecting the dead.
⦁ Revealing what people have eaten and what they have hidden in their homes.
Now read some details of these miracles:
1.) Making birds from clay and making them fly
When the Bani Israel demanded the miracle of producing a bird from clay and making it fly, Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام made bats from clay and made them fly. Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام chose bat among all of the birds because it is the most complete and the strangest bird among other birds because it has teeth like human beings, laughs like human beings, flies with its arms without wings, gives birth like animals (instead of laying the eggs) and it also experiences menstrual cycle. It has been reported that as long as the Bani Israel would watch these bats, they would continue to fly and when they would disappear from their sight; they would fall down and die. The reason behind it was to maintain difference between the one created by Allah and the one created by the bondsman of Allah. (Tafseer Ruh-ul-Bayan, vol. 2, pp. 37; part 3, Surah Aal-e-‘Imran, verse 49)
2.) Curing the innate blinds
It has been reported that by the virtue of supplication of Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام , fifty blind men and lepers were cured in a single day based on the condition that they would embrace faith (Iman).
(Tafseer Jamal, vol. 1, pp. 419; part 3, Surah Aal-e-‘Imran, verse 49)
3.) Resurrection of dead
It has been reported that Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام resurrected four dead people:
- His friend ‘Aazar
- The son of an old lady
- The daughter of a tax collector
- Sayyiduna Saam Bin Nuh علیہ السلام
- ‘Aazar ‘Aazar was a devoted friend of Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام . When he was about to die, his sister sent a messenger to Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام to inform him that his friend is dying. At that time, Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام was at a distance of three days journey from his friend. Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام reached after the death and burial of ‘Aazar. He علیہ السلام went to the grave of ‘Aazar and called upon him. ‘Aazar resurrected and came out of his grave, lived for many years and even became father.
- Son of an old lady The son of an old lady had died and the people were carrying him for burial. Coincidentally, Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام was passing by there. He was resurrected by virtue of the supplication of Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام . He got up, dressed up and brought his death bed back home. He lived a long life and also became father.
- Daughter of tax collector The daughter of a tax collector had died. She resurrected after one day of her death by virtue of the supplication of Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام .
She lived for many days and also bore several children.
- Sayyiduna Saam Bin Nuh When Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام resurrected the three above mentioned deceased people, some cunning people of the Bani Israel alleged that these three people were not actually dead but they were in the fit of unconsciousness and, they have just regained consciousness. They demanded the resurrection of some dead person of the past.
In response to their demand, Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام said that four thousand years have passed since the death of Sayyiduna Saam Bin Nuh (علیہ السلام ); take me to his grave and I will resurrect him by the command of Allah ( ). Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام invoked the Ism-eA’zam beside his grave and Sayyiduna Saam Bin Nuh علیہ السلام resurrected straightaway. He علیہ السلام came out of his grave and inquired worryingly, ‘Has the Hour of Judgement reached?’ After this, he علیہ السلام embraced faith in Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام and died after a short time.
4.) Revealing what people have eaten and what they have hidden in their homes It has been mentioned in Hadees that Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام would reveal the students (the children of the Bani Israel) of his seminary about whatever their parents eat and hide in their homes. When the parent would inquire from their children that how they came to know about these secrets, the children would reply that Sayyiduna ‘Isa (علیہ السلام ) informed them in the seminary. Hearing this, the parents restrained their children from going to that seminary and accused Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام of being a magician. When Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام entered the town of the Bani Israel in search of those children, the people hid their children inside a home and said that the children are not there. Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام asked, ‘Who is inside the home?’ These wicked people replied, ‘There are pigs inside the home.’ Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام said, ‘Ok. There must be pigs.’
Thereafter, when the people opened the door of the home, there were pigs inside it. This news spread among the Bani Israel and they boiled with rage and fury. They conspired to assassinate Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام . Seeing this, Sayyidatuna Maryam رضی اللہ عنہاmigrated to Egypt with her son, Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام . This is how Sayyiduna Isa علیہ السلام was secured from the wickedness of those people.
(Tafseer Jamal ‘alal Jalalayn, pp. 419; part 3, Surah Aal-e-‘Imran, verse 49)