Excellence of Hajj
Allah عزوجل says in the Holy Quran (in Part 2, Surah Al-Baqarah, Ayah 196)
Translation from Kanz-ul-Iman
And Complete the Hajj and ‘Umrah for Allah عزوجل
Two Sayings of the Most Exalted Prophet صلی الله علیہ وسلم
- The Holy Prophet صلی الله علیہ وسلم said, “The one who performed Hajj and did not commit Rafas (indecent talks) and transgression, returned as free of sins as he was on the day when he was born from his mother’s womb.” (Bukhari Sharif)
- The Haji will intercede for his 400 family members and he will be freed from sins as he was on the day when he was born from his mothers’s womb. (Musnad Al-Bazzar with reference to Sayyiduna Abu Musa رضی الله عنہ)
The Types of Hajj
There are three types of Hajj:
It is the greatest type of Hajj. The performer of this Hajj is called a Qarin. For this Hajj, the same Ihram is put on for Hajj as well as Umrah. After performing the ‘Umrah, the Qarin cannot get Halq or Qasr (Halq implies getting all the hair of head shaved while Qasr means getting every hair of one fourth part of head shaved equal to at least an inch in length.) done; rather, he will remain in the state of Ihram as usual. On the 10th , 11th or 12th of Zul-Hajjah, after having Halq or Qasr done and making sacrifice (Qurbani), he will remove his Ihram.
The performer of this type of Hajj is called a Mutamatte’. Those coming from outside the miqat in the months of Hajj can perform this Hajj. For example, the people from Indo-Pak usually perform Tamattu’. The convenience that lies in it is that the Mutamatte’, after performing ‘Umrah, can get Halq or Qasr done and remove his Ihram. Then, on the 8th of Zul-Hajjah or before it, Ihram of Hajj is put on.
The performer of this type of Hajj is called a Mufrid. This type of Hajj does not include ‘Umrah. Only the Ihram for Hajj is put on. The residents of Makkah and Hilli i.e. those living between the Haram area and the Miqat (e.g. the people of Jeddah) perform Hajj e Ifrad. (Those coming from other countries may also perform Ifrad)
Intention for Hajj-e-Qiran
A Qarin should make intention for both Hajj and ‘Umrah in the following words:
Translation: Ya Allah عزوجل! I make the intention of Hajj and ‘Umrah, make both of them easy for me and accept them from me. I have made the intention of Hajj and ‘Umrah and worn the Ihram of both just for the sake of Allah عزوجل.
Intention for Hajj
After putting on the Ihram of Hajj, Mufrid should make the following intention. Somilarly, after putting on Ihram, Mutamatte’ should also make the following intention on 8th of Zul-Hajjah or before it.
Translation: Ya Allah عزوجل! I make the intention of Hajj, make it easy for me and accept it from me. Help me in offering it and make it blessed for me. I have made the intention for Hajj and have worn its Ihram for the sake of Allah عزوجل.
Intention means the willingness of heart. It is better to make intention verbally. Intertion in Arabic will be valid provided the maker of intention comprehends its meaning. Otherwise, make intention in your own language. Presence of Intention in heart is a must in all cases.
After making the intention (Whether it is the intention of ‘Umrah or that of Hajj) it is essential to utter Labbaik at least once; uttering it thrice is preferable. Labbaik is as follows:
Leaving for Mina on 8th Zul-Hajjah
- If possible, go on the journey of Mina, ‘Arafat and Muzdalifah etc. on foot as 70 millions good deeds will be written for your every step till you return to Makkah-e-Mukarramah.
- Utter Talbiyah and Durud Sharif abundantly all the way. As soon as Mina Sharif appears, recite Durud Sharif and then the following Dua:
- You have to offer five Salah (from Sala-tul-Zuhr of 8th Zul-Hajjah to Sala-tul-Fajr of 9th Zul-Hajjah) in Mina Sharif as the Holy Prophet صلی الله علیہ وسلم also did the same.
Du’a of the Night of Arafah
(Recite Durud Sharif once before and after the Du’a)
Leaving for ‘Arafat on 9th Zul-Hajjah
On 9th Zul-Hajjah, after offering Fajr Salah in its Mustahab time, keep reciting Talbiyah, Zikr and Du’a until the sun rises and appears on the mount Sabir which is situated opposite Masjid Khaif Sharif. Now, proceed towards ‘Arafat Sharif with a thudding heart. Futher, leaving Mina Sharif, recite the following Dua once.
Dua of the Way to Arafat
(Recite Durud Sharif once before and after the Dua)
In ‘Arafat Sharif, the Salah of Zuhr and ‘Asr are offered in combination during Zuhr timings but there are certain conditions for it. You have to offer Zuhr Salah in Zuhr timings and ‘Salah in ‘Asr timings with congregation in your camp.
Supplications of ‘Arafat Sharif
Acconding to Hadis, the one reciting following Kalimah of Tawhid (Oneness), Surah-e-Ikhlas and the below-mentioned Durud Sharif 100 times each, in the afternoon, in his mawqif (the lodging area), he is forgiven. In addition, if the intercedes for all those present in ‘Arafat Sharif, his intercession will be recognized.
2. Recite Surah-e-Ikhlas 100 times.
Recite the following three times:
Recite Kalimah of Tawhid once and then recite following Dua three times:
It is Sunnah to Make Dua in Arafat Whilst Standing
Remember! The Haji does not have to offer Maghrib Salah in the field of Arafat; instead, Salah of Maghrib and ‘Isha will be offered in combination in Muzadalifah in the timing of ‘Isha Salah.
Departure for Muzdalifah
When it is sure that the sun has set completely, move from ‘Arafat Sharif to Muzdalifah. Keep reciting Zikr, Durud and Labbaid all the way. Yesterday, the reghts of Allah عزوجل were forgiven, forgiveness for the rights of people is promised here, (in Muzdalifah)
Method of Offering Maghrib Salah and ‘Isha Salah in Combination
Here (in Muzdalifah), you have to offer both Salah’s with single Azan and single Iqamat. Therefore, after Azan and Iqamat, first offer three Fard Rakat of Maghrib Salah, then, immediately after performing the Salam of Maghrib Salah, offer Fard of Isha Salah. Thereafter, offer Sunan of Maghrib and then offer Sunan and Witr of ‘Isha.
Stay in Mudalifah
Spending night in Muzadalifah is a Sunnat-e-Muakkadah but stay over there is Wajib. The stipulated time for stay at Muzdalifah is from Subh-e-Sadiq (dawn) up to sunrise. If one spends even a single moment in Muzdalifah within the described duration, his stay in Muzdalifah will be valid. Obviously, the one who offers Fajr Salah within Fajr timings in Muzdalifah, his stay is valid.
Rami; First Rite of 10th Zul-Hajjah
On returning to Mina Sharif from Muzdalifah, come towards Jamra-tul-Aqabah (Big Satan). Today (i.e., 10th Zul-Hajjah), grits (small stones) will be hurled at only one Satan (the big one).
Sacrifice (Qurbani) of Hajj
- After hurling grits at the big Satan on 10th Zul-Hajjah, come to the slaughter area and perform Qurbani (sacrifice of animal). This Qurbani is Wajib for a Qarin and Mutamatte’ in gratefulness to Hajj even if he is Faqir (poor).
- This Qurbani is Mustahab for a Mufrid even if he is wealthy.
- After performing Qurbani, get Halq or Qasr(Halq implies getting all the hair of head shaved while Qasr means getting every hair of one fourth part of head shaved equal to at least an inch in length) done.
- Remember! Performing these three acts in order is Wajib. 1.First: 2. Then: Qurbani 3. Then: Halq or Qasr
- As Qurbani is not Wajib for Mufrid, he may get Halq or Qasr done after Rami.
Rami of 11th and 12th of Zul-Hajjah
On 11th and 12th of Zul-Hajjah, grits (small stones) are to be hurled at all the three Satans after the commencement of Zuhr timings; first, hurl grits at Jamra-tul-Oula (Small Satan), then Jamra-tul-Wusta (Middle Satan) and then Jamra-tul-‘Aqabah (Big Satan).
- Tawaf-uz-Ziyarah is the second pillar of Hajj.
- It is preferable to perform Tawaf-uz-Ziyarah on 10th of Zul-Hajjah. If it cannot be performed on 10th, it can be performed on 11th or 12th as well but it must be performed before the sunset of 12th.
- If the sunset of 12th Zul-Hajjah takes place before the completion of four rounds of Tawaf-uz-Ziyarah, Dam(a type of expiation) will become Wajib.
- However, if a woman undergoing menses or post-natal bleeding becomes pure after 12th of Zul-Hajjah, she should perform it now; Dam will not be Wajib out of delay for these reasons.
- If a woman going through her menstrual periods has a seat reserved in plane etc. for return and she has not yet performed Tawaf-uz-Ziyarah, she should get the reservation of her seat cancelled, if possible, and perform Tawaf-uz-Ziyarah after attaining purity. If the cancellation of reservation causes difficulty for her or her travelling companions, she can perform Tawaf-uz-Ziyarah in the same state because of compulsion, but Badanah (the sacrifice of a cow or camel) will be due to her. Further, it is also necessary for her to repent as entering the Masjid in the state of impurity is a sin. If she succeeds in repeating Tawaf-uz-Ziyarah after attaining expiation will lapse, i.e. Badanah will no longer remain due to her. If she manages to repeat Tawaf-uz-Ziyarah after purity after 12th Zul-Hajjah, the expiation of Bahanah will lapse but that of Dam will still be due to her.
Tawaf-e-Rukhsat (Farewell Tawaf)
After performing Hajj, when an Afaqi Haji intends to return back to his country, Tawaf-e-Rukhsat becomes Wajib for him. If he does not perform it, Dam will become Wajib for him. [An Afaqi Haji is the one who comes from beyond the Miqat e.g. from Pakistan, India etc.]
Thirteen Madani Pearls
- The Haji who gets out of the field of ‘Arafat before sunset, Dam will become Wajib for him. If he re-enters the limits of ‘Arafat before sunset, Dam will lapse (no longer remain Wajib).
- From Subh-e-Sadiq (dawn) of 10th Zul-Hajjah to sunrise is the stipulated time for stay at Muzdalifah; if one stays even for a moment within this duration, his Wajib (of staying at Muzdalifah) will get offered. If even a single moment was not spent in Muzdalifah during the stipulated time, Dam will become Wajib. Similarly, the Wajib of the one leaving Muzdalifah before Subh-e-Sadiq (dawn) will get missed and, therefore, Dam will become Wajib for him. However, if a woman, patient, very old or weak person left Muzdalifah (before time) in compulsion for fear of being harmed by the influx of people, no expiation will be due to such people.
- Though the time for the Rami of 10th Zul-Hajjah is from sunrise to Subh-e-Sadiq (dawn), performing Rami from sunset to Sabh-e-Sadiq (dawn) is Makruh. However, if there is a valid reason, e.g. if a shepherd does Rami at night, there is no harm in it.
- On 10th of Zul-Hajjah, if a Qarin or Mutamatte’ gets Halq or Qasr done after carrying out Rami but before performing Qurbani, Dam will become Wajib for him. A Mufrid may get Halq or Qasr done after Rami as Qurbani is not Wajib for him; instead, it is just Mustahab for him.
- It is Wajib to do Qurbani of Hajj-e-Tamattu’ or Hajj-e-Qiran as will as Halq/Qasr within the limits of Haram. If both these rites are performed outside the limits of Haram, two Dam’s will become Wajib for Mutamatte’ and four Dam’s will become Wajib for Qarin as there is double expiation for Qarin on every offence.
- The time for the Rami of 11th and 12th starts from the declining of the sun (i.e. immediately after the commencement of the timings of Zuhr Salah). Countless people perform Rami in morning; this is wrong and such Rami is invalid. If the one carrying out Rami before the declining of sun on 11th or 12th did not repeat it on the same day, Dam would become Wajib for him.
- Although the time for the Rami of 11th and12th is from the declining of sun to Sabh-e-Sadiq (dawn), doing Rami after sunset without a valid reason is Makruh.
- No one, whether a man or a woman, can depute anyone else to perform Rami on his/her behalf unless he/she falls ill to such an extent that he/she is unable to get to the Jamrat even by conveyance. If a man or woman is not sick to the above-mentioned extent, even then, he/she deputes anyone else to perform Rami on his/her behalf instead of performing it in person, Dam will become Wajib for him/her.
- If the Subh-e-Sadiq (dawn) of 13th Zul-Hajjah takes place whilst a Haji is still within the limits of Mina Sharif, performing the Rami of 13th will also become Wajib for him. If he went without performing Rami, Dam would become Wajib for him.
- If someone went to his country without performing Tawaf-uz-Ziyarah, mere expiation cannot make up for it as a pillar of Hajj was not performed. It is mandatory for him to come back to Makkah-e-Mukarramah and perform Tawaf-uz-Ziyarah. As long as he does not perform Tawaf-e-Ziyarah, his marital relations will not be Halal (permissible) with his wife even if several years pass.
- If an Afaqi woman undergoes menses at the time of her return, Tawaf-e-Rukhsat will no longer remain Wajib for her; she may go to her country. There is no need to pay Dam.
- Sai may be performed without Wudu but performing it in the state of Wudu is Mustahab.
- In case of performing ‘Umrah a number of times, it is Wajib to get Halq/Qasr done every time to remove Ihram. If head is already shaved, passing razor on it is still Wajib.
Visit to Madina Munawwarah
Mahinay ka safar hay aur mayn namdidah namdihah
Jabin afsurdah afsurdah, Qadam laghzidah laghzidah
Come at Bad-ul-Baqi
Come at Bab-ul-Baqi’ reverentially and rationally, shedding tears; if weeping condition cannot be attained, at least try to adopt a weeping posture. Now recite then, halt a bit as if you are seeking permission from the most Exalted Prophet صلی الله علیہ وسلم to enter his majestic court. Now recite ﷽ and place your right foot into the Masjid Sharif and enter Masjid-e-Nabawi extremely reverentially.
The heart of every true Muslim is aware of the utmost reverence and veneration that is Fard on this accasion. Keep your hands, feet, eyes, tongue and heart free from engaging in any thing else and move ahead weeping. Do not look here and there. Do not look at decors and carvings of the Masjid. Just one thought and only one will must preoccupy that an absconded culprit is going to enter the merciful court of his lord صلی الله علیہ وسلم.
Chala hun aik mujrim ki tarah mayn janib-e-Aqa
Nazar sharmindah sharmindah, badan larzidah larzidah
If it is not a Makruh time (for Salah) and your overwhelming sentiments also permit you, offer two Rakat Salah as Tahiyya-tul-Masjid as well as a gratitude to the blessed court.
Now, with immense reverence and devotion, come at the Muwajahah Sharif from the direction of the blessed feet facing the Golden Grille lowering head and eyes, weeping and trembling with shame of sins but having hope of mercy and blessings from the most merciful Prophet صلی الله علیہ وسلم.
In which Direction Actual Muwajahah Sharif is?
Now, in fully reverential posture, come in front of silver nails, underneath the lantern, which are fixed at upper east-side of the sacred portal of the Golden Grille such that your back is towards Qiblah; stand at about 2 yards apart with hands folded like that in Salah in front of the refulgent face of the most beloved Prophet of Allah صلی الله علیہ وسلم. Similar etiquette has been mentioned in Fatawa-e-‘Alamgiri etc. i.e. Stand in the court of the Holy Prophet as one stands in Salah. Remember! The Prophet of Madina صلی الله علیہ وسلم is alive just like his apparent life in his sacred Mausoleum and he is seeing you and he is aware of even the thoughts of your heart. Beware! Avoid kissing and touching the Golden Grille as it is contrary to manners because our hands are not worthy of touching the Grille. Hence, keep away by 2 yards. Is it not a great privilege that the most beloved of Allah عزوجل has let you come close to the Muwajahah Sharif and his graceful sight is now towards you!
Didar kay qabil to kahan mayri nazar hay
Yeh tayra karam hay kay rukh tayra idhar hay
Manners of Saying Salam in the Blessed Court of the Most Exalted Prophet صلی الله علیہ وسلم
Now, with immense reverence and devotion, say Salam in following words in melancholic and moderate voice:
Salam in the Court of Siddiq-e-Akbar رضی الله عنہ
Now, move towards east (i.e. towards your right) by about half yard (in front of the small hole) and say Salam whilst standing and both hands folded in front of the blessed face of Siddiq-e-Akbar رضی الله عنہ.
Salam in the Court of Faruq-e-Azam رضی الله عنہ
Now, move again towards the east by half yard and say Salam to Faruq-e-Azam رضی الله عنہ.
Again say Salam Jointly in the Court of both Shaikhain
Now, retreat towards the west i.e. towards your left side by almost half a feet, stand between both small holes and say Salam jointly in the courts of Siddiq-e-Akbar and Faruq-e-Azam رضی الله عنہ.
Don’t Turn Your Back towards Golden Grille for the Sake of Dua
Whenever you get the privilege of being present in front of the Golden Grille, do not look here and there; looking inside the grille is a great daring. With back towards Qiblah, keep standing two yards away from the Grille and say Salam Whilst facing towards Muwajahah Sharif. Make Dua whilst facing Golden Grilles; if you turned towards the Kabah, your back will be towards the Kabah of Kabah.
Keep your mobile phones off during Tawaf as well as when you are inside Masjidain-e-Karimain.
Ruling: Musical tune of phone is impermissible and sin even outside Masjid. Repent of it forever.
Fragrant Madani Pearl
The sign of a recognized Hajj is the Haji returns having become more pious than before.
It is Fard to learn essential rulings of Hajj for the one for whom Hajj has become Fard. As this brief booklet consists of hints only, it is absolutely insufficient. It is useful only for those who have already learnt detailed rulings of Hajj. Therefore, in order to learn rulings of Hajj, go through Rafiq-ul-Haramain and contact Islamic scholars to understand required rulings.
Madinay pohanchay to sath aya gham judai ka
Ham ashkbar hi pohanchay thay ashkbar chalay